Getting a Driving License in Bangalore – Here’s a look into it.6 min read
Karnataka state Regional Transport Office strictly follows all traffic regulations and laws. These are expected to be diligently followed by everyone in the state. The applicants must first give a written, theoretical, verbal or online test to certify that they have a decent understanding of the traffic rules, road customs, protocols, traffic laws, and regulations. Getting a driving license in Bengaluru, Karnataka has now become a fairly quick process.
Eligibility for Driving Licence
- You must be at least 18years or above to apply for a driving license.
- Firstly, you must acquire a Learner’s License.
- After 30 days and within 180 days of acquiring Learner’s License, you must apply for Driver’s License.
- If your age is more than 20, you can also apply for Commercial License.
- All applicants must be up to date with the traffic laws and regulations.
- Form No.4 (driving license application)
- An attested copy of any of the following:
- Ration card (with affidavit) or
- Voter’s ID card or
- A certified copy of your Voter List or
- Valid passport or
- Life insurance policy which is at least 6 months old and has the latest receipt or
- Your employer’s certificate if you are employed with the Local Bodies/ Central Government – State Government supported by an attested copy of your employee Identity Card.
- Valid Age Proof (an attested copy of any of the following):
- Birth certificate
- 10th standard mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from school with your date of birth mentioned over it
- PAN card
- Anyone from the following will be accepted as valid Permanent address proof document:
- Aadhar card
- Your residential electric bill
- LIC bond
- Voter Id
- Ration card
- Residential agreement for your current Bengaluru address
- A rental agreement along with electric Bill
- A rental agreement along with the gas bill
- Photographs (6 Passport sized photographs for learners license, 1 Passport sized photograph for your driving license)
- The required fee for issue of license. (Rs. 50 for learner’s license, Rs. 150 for laminated driving license).
Types of Driving License
In Bengaluru, Karnataka, a license aspirant has to first obtain a Learners License and then acquire their permanent driving license within six months. There are 3 types of driving licenses granted by the Karnataka state government:
Driving license issued for a motorcycle without gear
This category of permanent driving licenses is issued to candidates who want to ride motorcycles and/or two-wheelers without gears such as scooters and mopeds. An applicant must be a minimum of 16 years of age and above to apply for such type of license.
Driving license issued for light motor vehicles
This is given to those who are applying for a license to drive a light motor vehicle such as a bike and/or cars. An applicant must be a minimum 18 years of age and above to apply for such type of license. Driving license issued for transport vehicles:
For all those who want to drive a transport automobile such as cab, private service vehicle, lorry, truck, and trailer must apply for a permanent driving license issued for transport vehicles. In Bengaluru, Karnataka, a driving License for transport automobile is generally issued out to an applicant of age 20 and above.
Useful tips for clearing your driving test:
- Do not turn off the vehicle until it stops completely
- Use the side and rear mirror while riding/driving.
- For turning, he/she should put an indicator as well as show a hand signal
- The RTO officer will stand near the test area to see how you rode the bike.
- Give proper indication for stopping the car with appropriate hand signals. Apply the brakes smoothly.
- Shift the gears smoothly.
- At the car driving test, the RTO officer will sit with you and check how smoothly you shift the gears, and how efficiently you release the clutch.
Source: Vahan/Parivahan, ACKO Insurance